One of Rumi's personal favorite quotes is "Let the Beauty we Love, Become the Good we Do." I love it because it reminds me that Fair Trade focuses on building relationships with marginalized artisans, who create beautiful products we love, and when we choose to purchase them, we are doing a lot of good. As you can see, there's a lot to love about Fair Trade. Here's one more reason:
We are happy to announce the recipient of our first Giving Back Days campaign of 2018 is Let's Start, Inc. This nonprofit organization aims to break the cycle of incarceration in families by working with formerly incarcerated women and their children to support recovery and reentry, mitigate the impact of parental imprisonment, educate the public and inform policy. We invite YOU to join us in raising funds to support their important work. Here's how you can help:
- WHAT: Shop Fair Trade gifts at our store located at 3211 South Grand Blvd., St. Louis, 63118 or online.
- WHEN: Tuesday, February 6 to Friday, February 9 (11AM - 8PM)
- RESULT: we will donate 15% of all sales to Let's Start Inc. Details HERE
Let’s Start started in 1989 when Sr. Jackie Toben SSND and 3 formerly incarcerated women began meeting informally. Since that time, Let’s Start has developed a support process for women in transition.
Women coming out of prison immediately face a number of challenges: housing, education, employment, dysfunctional families, or addictions. They are faced with overwhelming demands which often leave them feeling alone and powerless.
Let’s Start is a process dedicated to assisting women in transition from prison life to society. It is unique in that it is coordinated by women who themselves have been through the criminal justice system.
Let’s Start supports incarcerated or formerly incarcerated women and their children, while promoting policy changes. Watch this powerful video about their work. The following are some of the resources Let’s Start provides for:
Incarcerated or Formerly Incarcerated Women
- Weekly support groups at Let’s Start and the Clayton jail with follow-up and referrals for housing and employment;
- Monthly parenting sessions;
- Monthly legal clinic that offers free legal advice.
Children & Caregivers
- Prison visitation program so children can visit their moms;
- Individual and group therapy sessions for children;
- Field trips for children to provide respite time for caregivers;
- Monthly group sessions for caregivers;
- Structured activities for children when their moms are at support group.
Outreach and Advocacy
- Talks in the community about issues that impact their lives;
- “Stories of Hope” – true stories relayed through dramatic presentations;
- Discussions with legislators about policies that affect incarcerated or formerly incarcerated women’s lives and their children’s.
We look forward to welcoming you, your families & friends to our store (or to our website) from Tuesday, February 6 to Friday, February 9. Your fair trade purchases will make a big difference in the work Let's Start Inc. does in our community. You Buy. We Donate!
If you are not ready to purchase at this time, please consider supporting Let's Start Inc. directly. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation and you too will be helping women in transition from prison life to society.