I've always liked St. Margaret of Scotland School's motto "In the End, it's the BEGINNING that counts." When you care enough about how our children are raised and educated, I'm sure we would all agree it's their early years that make the most difference. It's no surprise we are partnering with Cornerstone Center for Early Learning this month.
As St. Louis' first accredited early learning facility, Cornerstone Center is devoted to enriching the lives of children during this critical period of development. It is their firm belief that all children--regardless of socio-economic status and developmental ability--can succeed in life if they are educated from an early age and are encouraged to develop a positive sense of self-worth. This is the driving force behind all they do. Here's how you can help:
- WHAT: Shop Fair Trade gifts at our store located at 3211 South Grand Blvd., St. Louis, 63118 or online.
- WHEN: Tuesday, July 25 to Friday, July 28 (11AM - 8PM)
- RESULT: we will donate 15% of all sales to Cornerstone Center! Details HERE.
Cornerstone Center for Early Learning Mission is to provide high-quality, affordable, comprehensive care and education for children while following a Constructivist philosophy that governs all aspects of operation. As a nonprofit, United Way agency, the Center enables parents to enter or remain in the workforce, or to seek higher education. Cornerstone Center encourages the development of all people within its sphere, promoting the autonomy, creativity, and initiative of children, staff, and family members.
Like what you've read so far? Then go ahead and Shop Fair Trade Gifts during this Giving Back Days and you'll be scoring big Karma points: your purchases will support marginalized artisans and farmers around the world AND you will be supporting Cornerstone Center for Early Learning.
The Center serves children of all economic levels, but most live in poverty, despite the full-time employment of their parents. In 2016, of 224 students enrolled, 49% lived in families with a household income of less than $20,000, and 18% lived in families with an income of $20,000-$30,000. Fifty-five percent were members of single-parent households.
In 2016, 88% of Cornerstone students were St. Louis city residents. Approximately 57% of families served were of African-American origin, 28% were of European-American extraction, 8% were multi-racial, 5% were of Hispanic origin, and 1% were of other minority backgrounds.
Program Curriculum and Goals
- At Cornerstone Center, we provide diapers all day, every day at no cost to our families. Diapers are not subsided like food, and clean diapers are essential for healthy babies and their development.
- We also provide breakfast, lunch, and a snack (formula for infants) every day for all students at no cost to our families. Each meal not only meets but exceeds USDA requirements and ensures that our children are well nourished for a day of learning.
- Additionally, all children undergo regular developmental screenings and are offered on-site physical, occupational, and speech therapy if needed at no cost to their families.
We look forward to welcoming you, your family & friends to our store (or to our website) from Tuesday, July 25 to Friday, July 28. Your purchases will make a big difference in the work Cornerstone Center does in our community.
If you are not ready to purchase at this time, please consider supporting Cornerstone Center for Early Learning directly. Check out their Wish List of current and ongoing needs. Otherwise, your tax-deductible donation will go a long way. No amount is ever too small.
"Let the beauty we love become to good we do." -Rumi